Today is the first Global Encryption Day. On this day, we ask people to Make the Switch to encrypted services like Tor. Encryption is our most vital and important tool against surveillance and privacy/security-violating services and programs.
Our digital life is secured and private because of encryption. Encryption allows us to survive the dangerous time we’re living in. When our data is collected in every way possible, encryption makes us able to fight; to fight for our lives, fight for our privacy, fight for our security, fight for our freedoms, and fight for our rights.
When governments and organizations/corporations are trying hard to profile us in any way possible, encryption makes us able to resist. When everybody is trying to violate our privacy, or jeopardize our basic human rights, encryption makes us able to resist.
On Global Encryption Day we ask people to switch to encrypted services and programs:
- For instant messaging, I use XMPP which is encrypted by OMEMO,
- For voice/video calls, I use Jitsi, which has end-to-end encryption,
- I only use web sites that encrypt my connection using TLS (HTTPS),
- I use GNU+Linux operating system which lets me encrypt my computers’ hard drive,
- I use LUKS/LVM to encrypt my portable hard drives,
- I use GPG/PGP to encrypt my emails,
- I use KeePassXC which encrypts my password vault,
- I use Nextcloud which encrypts my files on the cloud,
- and I use many more services and programs use encryption to make sure I’m private and secure.
In honor of this inaugural Global Encryption Day, the Tor Project, along with 148 other organizations and businesses have signed the Global Encryption Day Statement, calling on governments and businesses to reject efforts to undermine encryption and instead pursue policies that enhance, strengthen, and promote use of strong encryption to protect people everywhere.
As an individual, you can get involved with Global Encryption Day by:
- Joining more than 40 events celebrating and discussing encryption, hosted from all around the world.
- Pledging to #MakeTheSwitch to end-to-end encrypted services and products and put your online security and privacy back in your own hands.